Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Lighthouse lessons

As usual, I am immersed in all things travel. My soul wants to wander to new places and find beautiful things. It does not want to sit here for the 11th day in a row taking calls about sick foxes, meth heads, and purse snatchers; but a girl's got to pay her bills.

Lately, I've gotten a lot of "are you ever home?" and "where are you going now?" That pleases me. If my obituary was written tomorrow, I would hope it said that I was a beloved daughter, sister, and friend, who was an avid lover of music, travel, and most importantly, life.

I'm finding a sincere apprecitation for lighthouses in all my travel research. Wondering why there are so many travel blogs written on these lighted places, I started reading between the lines. Teetering on the edge of the world, yet grounded enough to weather the storm, lighthouses have guided ships safely to harbor for hundreds of years. Getting to a lighthouse is a challenge, but if you appreciate beauty and history, it's worth the effort.


Point Bonita Lighthouse, San Francisco Bay

I have some people that I want to give up on. I want to let them wander out at sea and get lost and not worry if they ever find their own way home. I realize now that it is not my responsibility to charter their course and that sometimes finding your own way is the only way for some people to discover who they are.

I wonder if, in life, I could challenge myself to be like a light house?

Can I find a beacon in my friends and people I hold close that will always bring me home and help me find my bearings?
Can I be a beacon that doesn't burn out and doesn't give up?
Can I stand tall despite what life throws at me - wind, rain, storms, gusts that should knock me off my feet and down to me knees?

Can I do it?

***edit: after looking for quotes reference being someone's lighthouse or beacon and coming up with nothing, sitting here getting back to reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, page 12, paragaph 2: "...he was my lighthouse and my albatross in equal measure." The universe IS speaking to me!

4 comments:

  1. That photo is a show stopper. The quote from Liz Gilbert is one I didn't remember, but I love it. And your words, well suffice it to say that you have a facility with language. Thanks for coming to visit me, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How strange that I read this today when I was JUST reading an article in Via about lighthouses. I was thinking about how cool it would be to make that a goal; to see as many lighthouses as possible. They have always been interesting to me. Beautiful and mysterious yet romantic in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually saw that article too...I have to go see more of those and we're in the right place for light houses. They're so close to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like this, makes you really think.

    ReplyDelete