Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hey Mr. DJ, play me a tune

and it continues...
Miles Davis
James Taylor
AC/DC
Justin Timberlake
Andrea Bocelli
The Black Eyed Peas
Marvin Gaye
Lynard Skynard
Rascal Flatts
3 Doors Down
Jay-Z
Maroon 5
Randy Travis
Christina Aguilera
Alicia Keys
P!nk
Kings of Leon
Charlie Daniels Band
Janis Joplin
Will.i.am
Muse
Billy Currington
Ella Fitzgerald
Bryan Adams
Trisha Yearwood
Emmylou Harris
John Hiatt
Jason Mraz
Dave Matthews Band
and I'm just scrathing the surface...

The Ipod storing never ends. If CD's were currency, I'd be a millionaire. I've discovered that I have a great ifinity for motion picture soundtracks.
Chicago
50 First Dates
Save the Last Dance
Coyote Ugly
The Notebook
Braveheart
Romeo & Juliet (both volumes circa Leo DiCaprio, yeah, don't ask)
Office Sapce
Hitch
Sleepless in Seatle
Moulin Rouge
Mamma Mia (the Meryl Streep version)
Ally McBeal (like 4 seasons worth)
Armageddon
Titanic (just jump overboard already)
The Lion King (Broadway, which is fabulous by the way!)
Zumanity (Las Vegas, which I haven't even seen...)
Movin' Out (the Billy Joel musical which is signed by the lead singer/piano man - no, not Billy Joel, some guy named Darren)
Pulse: a STOMP Odyessey (purchased in London after watching STOMP - yes, garbage cans, music made of garbage cans)
I mean really? Who has this stuff?

If not to make things worse, I have a constantly growing list of new music to purchase. There are more new bands and artists with incredible talent than you can reasonably keep track of. My list...my list...it took all I had earlier today to not spend 27 1/2% of my tax return on an iTunes gift card entirely for myself.

Hi, my name is Lauren, and I'm a music hoarder. But...I'm not really. I am currently at 13.48GB of music....that's 8.2 days worth, 2919 items and counting. I guess it would be hoarding if I let it sit there and grow mold, go unheard, and not pushed up on friends and played openly to new listeners. I see 8.2 days worth of music and think of all the places I'm going to drive to with my ipod plugged into the car steroe speakers. I love the thought of being able to listen to anything I want to at the touch of a button while I fly 35,000 feet above the earth. I love the idea that I can get double use out of a CD purchase...load it on my player and then send the CD to someone else to enjoy.

What a collection to have. Crazy how much we can accumulate these days in mass quanities or instantly to a MP3 player that is smaller than the size of a credit card. I can't imagine what it must have been like to wait for a vinyl to become available and shipped in a giant sleeve the size of a toilet seat cover. Waiting patiently for the needle to pick up the song and not scratch the record that was the size of a steering wheel while all your friends and family gathered around to hear the sweet sound of music come out of a wooden box. Those were the real music lovers. The ones who had to wait patiently for one album at a time.

Early records could only hold a song or two. Now you can speak to your car and have it play an entire genre of music for you beamed down from satellites circling the Earth. Crazy. Does it ever seem like we are the Jetsons, here, now, today. Maybe back in the 50's and 60's the view of the future was....this.....computers the size of your hand, being able to talk to someone on the other side of the world at the snap of your fingers, cars that ran on oil and bio fuel and electric power, computer graphics that put you IN the movie. Yeah, maybe we're not floating on moon boots or travelling back and forth in time, but we're not doing too shabby.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to wander back to Tower Records Jr. and shuffle through the small empire I have built. Viva la Musica!!!

1 comment:

  1. listening to vinyl is one of my most favorite things to do. i love the scratchy sound. and now, most artists include a digital download of the album with the vinyl.

    it drives me crazy in a good way. like vinyl, wine, rain, and sunrise. these four things are all we need to sustain.

    ReplyDelete