Saturday, December 12, 2009

sound it out

I saw Precious this weekend. I knew I was in for a few tears, but this one really got to me. It was heavy and graphic, but not distasteful. I think the part of it that really pulled at my heart was knowing that people, women, girls live lives like that everyday. Knowing the basic premise of the movie, I expected to see some of the scenes, but the scene that started the flood of tears was the one where Precious wasn't able to read outloud the title of a children's book. You could see the frustration and self-doubt (amazing acting by the way!). I cannot imagine what it must be like to not be able to read the words that are all around you - to feel lost trying to decipher basic directions in everyday life.

I can read. I write. In fact, I know the power of both so much, I share my life and my feelings in words with all you. I can read at the speed of pursuits, structure fires, baby's not breathing, shots fired, pedestrians hit by vehicles...but more importantly I can read when I'm at the grocery store, I can read when I have to get somewhere new, I can read when I need to find someone to help me. I CANNOT imagine having those basic life skills stripped away from me.

So with New Year's to-do's coming upon us, I think I'm going to volunteer at the local library to teach someone how to read. What a skill to share with someone...what an impact to have on someone's life. I may not be able to remove a child from a dangerous home or keep someone from being abused, but damnit, I can teach someone to read.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's a great idea!!. My mom teached me how to read when I was hardly 4 years old. She had graduated for elementary teaching and knew how to do, and I kept asking her to teach me so she did. Having learned so early, I have hardly any memory of times where I couldn't read, I can't imagine how life must be for those who can't.

    ReplyDelete