Saturday, January 24, 2009

A cartoon epiphany


Somewhere between trying to get something in my stomach before I went into a diabetic coma, find my uniform shirt, and blow dry my hair in the 15 spare minutes before I had to be at work; I had an epiphany. Don't know where it came from or why I thought of it, but I started humming a line from The Little Mermaid (my favorite childhood movie!!!):

"I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty
I've got who's-its and what's-its galore
You want thing-a-mabobs?
I've got twenty
But who cares? No big deal. I want more"

Somewhere around the fourth line, I realized that little diddy sums up the last few years of my life. No matter what I had, no matter how much, how new or excessive, I wanted more; and now the things that I want today, are hampered by the fact that I'm still paying for the stuff I got back then. What a vicious cycle. I know I'm getting old cause I hear myself saying things like "I wish I would have saved more money - anticipated a rainy day - been more responsible - paid attention to all those looks and comments about how much money I was spending." If...I would have learned The Little Mermaid lesson a few years ago...if only.

No comments:

Post a Comment